Let’s cook with Executive Chef Jason Berthold of RN74 San Francisco as he reveals his professional techniques in these videos. Chef Berthold offers a lot of great insights on how to accomplish some frequently asked-about kitchen tasks.
1. Place enough grapeseed oil in a sauté pan to cover the bottom, and heat over medium-high heat until it almost begins to smoke.
2. Season the fish on both sides with kosher salt and place skin-side down in the pan. Do not move the fish around at this point. Maintain a medium-high heat on the pan while the skin is crisping.
3. Remove the pan from the heat and flip the fish over and allow it to gently cook on the flesh side to your desired degree of doneness.
4. Remove the excess oil from the pan and wipe it clean with a paper towel. Over a medium flame, add the butter and allow to lightly brown, and add the capers, lemon juice and chopped parsley. Remove from the pan and serve on side.
1. In a wide sauce pan, place the cooked artichokes in with the cooking liquid and begin to simmer.
2. While the liquid is simmering, add the butter and olive oil and continue to simmer until the liquid is reduced by half. The liquid will start to thicken slightly at this point.
3. Add the toasted almonds and spinach leaves, and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
4. Place this mixture into an ovenproof dish and sprinkle the bread crumbs and Parmesan.
5. Place in a preheated broiler and cook until the breadcrumbs brown evenly.
6. Finish with chopped parsley before serving.